When Mommy arrived at the NICU this morning, she was reminded that even though we have been doing so well, we are still in the hospital and we are very fragile. It turns out one of the babies in our old room tested positive for MRSA. This means that all babies from that room are now under contact isolation protocol until our noses can be reswabbed on Monday to confirm we have not been exposed. Mommy, Daddy and our nurses have to wear yellow gowns and gloves when they visit us and they have to be extra careful that nothing is shared between our two bed sides and that they are extra responsible about hand washing. Unfortunately, this probably means no pics of us for a few days because it isn't easy for Mommy to bring her phone to our beds. Luckily Nonni and Granddaddy came to visit us last weekend because now the NICU is limited to parents only.
Despite the fact that everyone who visits us looks like a yellow alien, we are still working on our feeding and growing. Daddy fed me a bottle again today when he visited, I gulped it down. Emerson is now getting 5ccs of milk by bottle four times a day and Mommy got to give her her first bottle this morning. She still needs some practice swallowing and breathing, but she liked drinking from a bottle too. I will be able to have a bottle four times a day too once I am off of my oxygen support. They are trying to ween me off of the oxygen but are trying to balancing my ability to maintain my oxygen saturation on my own.
Unfortunately, doing so well with our food means we have been having more bradys over the past few days. This is most likely due to reflux since we are getting more food. When small babies like us have reflux, we tend to close off our throat which also affects our breathing. The nurses and doctors are keeping an eye on us and will only increase our food when we are ready.
I miss your pretty faces. Hope you are both okay as well as all the other babies. I got my flu shot last night so I am getting ready for a visit sometime soon. Love, Great Aunt Margaret
ReplyDelete