Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Growing like weeds

I was having a little trouble maintaining my body temperature today so the nurse had to turn my crib up a little bit.  When you're a preemie like us, everything we do burns calories and consumes energy, often at the expense of other things.  Since they took me off my oxygen and I am now spending more energy breathing, I don't have enough energy to also maintain my body temperature.  Feeding from a bottle also takes energy and I am moving up to 10ccs by mouth every other feeding so I may need to make other trade offs.


Emerson was running a bit warm today inside her isolette.  Since she has been at 28 degrees for some time now, the nurse decided she was ready for an open air crib!


Daddy says this makes it much easier to change diapers because he doesn't have to fit his big hands through the little portholes.  Mommy thinks she looks like a little pee wee in the big crib, which is about half the size of a normal baby crib.  


Emerson is up to 4lbs 1oz, so she's not a pee wee anymore!  She's also 41cm long, 7 centimeters longer than we were when we were born!  I am up to 4lb 6oz and 41.5 cm long, almost 2 full pounds more than when I was born!  We are both in the 10th percentile right now for our height and weight.  Mommy said I am really starting to fill out, she acts surprised every day when she sees me.  Here's a picture of my leg when I was first born and one from today.  I guess I can see what she means.  No wonder I don't have enough energy to keep my body warm, I am too busy trying to grow!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh those chubby toes and leg! I can't get enough. You girls are doing so good. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete