Tuesday, September 24, 2013

We wear our sunglasses at night...

...and after our eye exam.

Emerson and I both had our follow up eye exam this morning to test for retinopathy of prematurity (ROP).  As of right now we don't show any signs, but because we are still so young, we will have to follow up with the eye doctor in 6 months.  They dilate our eyes and then look at our retinas with a bright light.  This is very stressful for us, especially since they have to hold us still when they do the test and we don't like that very much.  Mommy was going to be mean and play the name that twin game with our sunglasses pictures :).  The first picture is Emerson and the second picture is me.  We do not like our goggles, both Emerson and I spent the better portion of the day trying to get them off.  They had to stay on until 7pm tonight when our eyes were back to normal.



Unfortunately the medicine they use to dilate our eyes also slows down our  motility by 50-75% for about 8 hours.  This translates into Emerson's belly being really big again today.  Mommy practiced holding her on her side when she visited, this is supposed to be good for bloated baby bellies.  She also got a diuretic to try to get rid of some of her fluid build up.

I was breathing really fast today, up in the 100s at times, so the nurse gave me all my feedings through the tube in my nose so that I didn't aspirate on my bottle.  But the doctor put in an order that I can start to take full feeds from a bottle beginning tonight.  This means that the nurse will put the full 50ccs of milk in a bottle and see how much I can eat in 20 mins and before I get too tired and expend too much energy.  Then they will give me the rest through my feeding tube.  The goal is for me to be able to eat more and more from the bottle so that I can eventually get rid of the feeding tube altogether.  Once Emerson's belly is able to tolerate compressing her feeds to 30 mins, she will get to do the same.

Today after the doctor examined me, he didn't put me in a tight enough swaddle.  When Mommy came over to check on me, I had wriggled out of my swaddle completely and was hiding under the blanket.  I guess this is why they say no blankets in the bed once we get home :).





No comments:

Post a Comment